Monday, May 9, 2011

What is a Mom?

The fact that I am a woman does not make me a different kind of Christian, but the fact that I am a Christian does make me a different kind of woman. For I have accepted God's idea of me, and my whole life is an offering back to Him of all that I am, and all that He wants me to be. - Elisabeth Elliot

As I approached my first Mother’s Day I started reflecting on how my first year as a mom has gone.  I realized that my vision of what a mother is changed over this past year especially after parenting a RAD child, a child who struggles every day to show the slightest bit of authentic affection.  
So what is a mom from a RAD mom’s perspective?  
Ø  A RAD momma is someone who loves a child even when they are not there biological child
Ø  A RAD momma is someone who see’s the “real” child behind  all the pain
Ø  A RAD momma is someone who puts up with constant lying and still wants to believe the child when they say something is true.
Ø  A RAD momma is someone who is physically abused by their child and still comes in for a hug when the tantrum is over.
Ø  A RAD momma will sit with a raging child on the floor for several hours and put all other responsibilities aside.
Ø  A RAD momma takes verbal abuse and then looks at her child and tells then “I love you”.
Ø  A RAD momma is a psychologist, psychiatrist and a counselor all wrapped up in one.
Ø  A RAD momma gives up friends, activities, and sometimes even family to care for and manage a child.
Ø  A RAD momma fights for services at school and spends hours advocating for help for her child.
Ø  A RAD momma helps re-teach skills to her older child so they can be a productive member of society.
Ø  A RAD momma sits for hours helping a child with homework because they are so far behind in school.
Ø  A RAD momma gives all of herself physically and emotionally daily to see her child grow and develop and succeed.
I am a RAD momma and I am not perfect.  I make mistakes and find myself daily having to “start over”.   I know that God called me to be this child’s mom.  There are days I am not sure he picked the right person but I do know that I have a responsibility to be the best mom I can for her. I have a responsibility to be a different kind of woman and to be a different kind of mom.  It may not be the mom job I envisioned but I have a job to be the best RAD momma I can for this little girl. I am proud to be called a mother.  I am proud to be called a RAD momma and to be celebrating my first Mother’s Day this year.
To all you RAD mom’s out there, Happy Mother’s Day to some of the most amazing and tough Mom’s I know.



No comments:

Post a Comment