Friday, April 1, 2011

Adoption Day

Our adoption day was during the biggest blizzard of our 2011 New England winter.  We woke to almost a foot of snow on the ground and over 700 closures on the TV. The snow continued to come down strong throughout the entire day.

I had prayed the night before in anticipation of the storm.  I remember saying “Lord please let this happen for this little girl, she just can’t have anymore let downs”.

One of the reasons I prayed this prayer was because for a week prior to the adoption she raged.  I was bitten, hit, and kicked repeatedly and obeying was not in the equation.  She was so scared and terrified that we were not going to adopt her.  She had told us that there was no way we could love her enough to adopt her. Can you imagine a child fearing that she wasn’t worth loving? It breaks my heart to even think about it.  She figured if we were not going to adopt her she wanted to be in control of the way she left.  So, she acted out as harshly as she could to get us to “give her back”.  It was emotionally draining and heart wrenching to watch this little girl suffer during the week prior to the adoption which was supposed to be a joyful occasion.  For her though it was the end, a closer, and the end of dreams of her birth mom coming back to “rescue” her.  The reality set in and in fact for her it was a sad day in some ways.  So my prayer was based on my fear of how she would react if the adoption day was cancelled.

We got up as usual and prepared to go to court.  God was 100% orchestrating everything as our court did NOT close!!!  We had rented a stretch Hummer Limo to take our family to court with us and the driver made it in the storm to our house.  God again? I believe so. We sure were glad we got the hummer!!




 My dad was originally not going to be able to make it due to work, but his work cancelled due to the weather so he was able to come with my mom.  God was in control.  All the workers and judge needed for the adoption arrived in the storm as well.



So on January 12th 2011 in the middle of a major snow storm we adopted our 9 year old Daughter.  She looked beautiful that day.  I remember the Judge saying “do you understand that this is forever?” and I thought to myself forever is a long time, and yes I do understand.  The Judge also said “Do you understand that Little R will now have all the same rights and inheritance and privileges as a biological child and you should treat her as such?”  we both said “yes”.

I find it amazing the way that our adoption wording from the judge, follows so closely with our relationship with God. 

He says in Ephesians 1:3-8   Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.

Ephesians 1:11 Furthermore, because we are united with Christ, we have received an inheritance from God, for he chose us in advance, and he makes everything work out according to his plan

God loves us with all our flaws and short coming’s and still welcomes us into his Kingdom and still opens his arms up to love us unconditionally and give us the greatest inheritance of all Heaven.

I hope that I can love Little R half as much as God Loves me and always keep my arms open to her even with all of her flaws remembering that I to have flaws and God still accepts loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment